Wrong encoding when JSP includes HTML

We had a standard JSP header with logo and menu, and we used it to include a few static HTML pages (e.g. privacy policy and about us). We had multiple versions of the static content in different languages, and the non-English ones shows up in gibberish, although the menu shows up fine.

We already specified the encoding in our enclosing JSP page.

<%@ page pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>

as well as specified the charset in the meta header

A common “workaround” is to convert the html to JSP to specify the encoding. However being lazy developers, we want a better solution. Eventually we found the hint to set the encoding in web.xml. We tweaked the extension from .jsp to .html and it works!



  
    *.html
    UTF-8
  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *